Tabitha was so excited that she caught and held a frog today, she told anyone and everyone who would listen!
I spent most of the day clearing and digging a space at the allotment for a shallow pond. This evening my dad helped me to lay the liner, weigh down the edges with stones and fill it with rainwater.
The pond goes around the back of the herb tyre, between the tree and the side of the shed. It’s out of the way as the space can’t be used for much else, but also close to places that the frogs like.
Aaron and Tabitha helped me to choose some native, bee-friendly marginal plants from the garden centre, along with some oxygenating pondweed. We are also planning to plant things around the edge of the pond to screen it a bit.
We managed to catch one frog in a bucket as we were moving stuff around at the back of the shed, so we introduced it to the new pond.
While we sat there watching, another frog hopped through the wood pile towards the pond, only to turn around when Tabitha poked it! We’re hoping that the frogs will enjoy this new pond as much as they enjoyed the puddle under the tarpaulin.