I can’t believe it has been so long since my last post, we’ve been busy busy busy! My nesting instinct kicked in with a vengeance some time after 30 weeks but unfortunately it decided to focus on ridiculously large tasks!
I went into the loft to search for any remaining baby things and found more than expected buried at the back that we hadn’t got round to getting rid of. I ended up spending the best part of the week completely emptying and sorting the loft, which required many trips to the recycling centre and charity shops. There is another loft on the other side of the house which also needs doing, but that one will just have to wait as I don’t have the time or energy to tackle it before baby arrives!
We also switched our bedroom and office room around. For the last few years our bedroom has been in the smaller upstairs room, as we wanted space for a Montessori learning area in the office. Nowadays nearly all our home-ed stuff is downstairs and we got a bigger bed last year which didn’t really fit in the smaller room, so it made sense to switch the rooms back. I did a huge amount of decluttering first though as it seemed pointless just to move all the clutter from one room to another!
As we were moving the furniture around we noticed how tatty the walls were, so my lovely dad has spent a lot of time over the last fortnight helping me paint them. It’s almost finished so I’m hoping to get it done next week, get everything put away properly, get all the baby stuff ready and finally relax a bit!
Our normal routine has mostly gone out of the window since half term. I’m rather anaemic and my sciatica is painful if I do too much, so I’m finding that our various weekly activities plus all the sorting out at home is about as much as I can manage. Instead, I’ve been encouraging the children to choose fun activities that we can do together, such as craft and science kits and board games.
It has been absolutely wonderful to have a few sunny days. We made it down to the allotment for the first time this year and worked on tidying up the strawberry bed, although my hips couldn’t manage much.
Today was my mum’s annual charity concert. Tabitha took part for the first time this year and has been practising loads. She and Aaron played two pieces each.
In other news, Aaron has received an official diagnosis of autism this week. The assessment process has taken just over a year and we’ll have to wait a few more weeks for a full report, which will hopefully help us to better understand the areas he needs more support with. The diagnosis really doesn’t make much difference to us, but we felt that it might be useful should he ever choose or need to enter the state education system. The team of professionals commented several times on how well we support him at home. I’m not quite sure how they came to that conclusion but it was reassuring to hear anyway!