We’ve had a lovely week with Colin off work. Money is tight at the moment so we didn’t go anywhere very exiting, but we’ve visited nearby towns and beaches. I’ve clocked up over a hundred miles in the car and Colin has been very helpful, giving me advice, directions and reassurance. He would make a fantastic driving instructor if only he could drive! I think I’ll be confident enough now to go out on my own with the children (driving to Sunday School and back doesn’t really count!).
On a very sad note, all our tadpoles died. 🙁 We changed their water as normal and I decided to try and clean some of the algae off the sides of the tank. I stupidly used a brand new sponge which I did rinse, but obviously not well enough. There must have been some chemical residue on the sponge (to stop it drying out in the packaging) and the next morning all the tadpoles and even the two snails were dead. I was devastated when I found them and woke Colin up crying! The children are disappointed and I feel so guilty.
Another trouble this week has been Aaron’s behaviour, which is really challenging at the moment. Some days I struggle to catch even a glimpse of the sweet little boy I know. I’m glad that Colin has been home to help deal with it but I’m secretly dreading next week! Hopefully some more structure and challenging new activities will help.
I’ve been working hard to completely reorganise our Montessori learning space upstairs. It’s gradually getting there, but there is still some
big piles of junk junk scattered all over the floor that needs to be sorted. The children’s shelves have been moved from the narrow corridor into the main part of the room, which should make it much more usable.
This evening I decided to remake our sound cylinders. I had ten empty film canisters and colour-coded them with red or blue stickers.
I experimented to see what dry foods would make the most different sounds and ended up using salt, hundreds and thousands, rice, split peas and cannellini beans. The stickers on the bottom are a control of error to show which cylinders match.
Here they are on the shelf. I just couldn’t resist these cute little wooden trays when I found them this afternoon!
Tabitha wanted to try the new sound cylinders out straight away.
Checking her own work to make sure she’s got it right!
I’ve got an 8 month old boy starting on Monday, which means I’ll be working about 20 hours a week for the rest of the term (not counting paperwork of course!). I’ve also got Ofsted coming soon and need to get my work-based learning placement done for college. I passed all my first year assignments with flying colours, so that was a relief. Making more time for friends is something that I am feeling the need to make a priority, as the days and weeks just seem to fly past!
Hope you have all had a wonderful half term.